I’ve been uploading images of graves from my local veterans cemetery on FindAGrave.com and trying to add obituaries. The headstone isn’t the only thing that matters; celebrating the life of the person is equally, if not more, important. Unfortunately, many of the obituaries have been “archived” and when you click them, most direct you to a new search for the newspaper or to a site where you have to pay to view the obituary. I am miffed and mystified by this. Should people have to pay to view an obituary? Where does this leave genealogists? Should genealogists for groups that create listings of obituaries that people can search for free? I’m thinking I may do just that.
Search this blog
- 11,670 hits
Creative Commons Copyright
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Check the date
June 2021 S M T W T F S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
View past posts
- RT @mamaguesswhatt: These mfing neighbors with their mfing loud-ass fireworks in mid June can feck straight off. My dog is IN my lap. If th… 1 day ago
- RT @ANILAWHITNEY: "If every single person in this room made it a rule that wherever you are, whenever you can, you will try to act a little… 1 day ago
- RT @pattonoswalt: Oh man I needed this. Pass this one on. twitter.com/junesummer1/st… 1 day ago
- @Faithnco1016 LOL - always do 1 day ago
- RT @POTUS: Diplomacy is back. https://t.co/27D316PAqB 1 day ago
Chip Mack on A sad discovery, overgrown and… gpcox on One source makes a tremendous… Jim on Leo Francis Bowman, great uncl… Candace Lindlaw-Huds… on Another leaf has fallen from m… Amy Coffin on Another leaf has fallen from m…
- ancestry.com blog stats cemeteries Census records citation conflicting information DAR documentation elusive ancestors family bible family sources family tree First steps genealogy grave sites headstones hiatus Historical Society history Indexing/Transcribing interviewing Irish Genealogy keeping house and home LDS Family History Library library Loss message boards musings names NIH cert obituaries Object analysis organization photographs posting publishing Reading response record keeping research roots sharing information sources tools TV Series War web sites writing YouTube Zotero