I’ve been uploading images of graves from my local veterans cemetery on FindAGrave.com and trying to add obituaries. The headstone isn’t the only thing that matters; celebrating the life of the person is equally, if not more, important. Unfortunately, many of the obituaries have been “archived” and when you click them, most direct you to a new search for the newspaper or to a site where you have to pay to view the obituary. I am miffed and mystified by this. Should people have to pay to view an obituary? Where does this leave genealogists? Should genealogists for groups that create listings of obituaries that people can search for free? I’m thinking I may do just that.
Search this blog
- 11,106 hits
Creative Commons Copyright
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Check the date
October 2017 S M T W T F S « Sep 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
View past posts
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/uDeY2REsiUA?a Chocolate Cake Recipe - One Bowl Dessert - Everyday Food with Sarah Carey 18 hours ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/E8U4kt_jm08?a Devil's Food Bundt Cake - Everyday Food with Sarah Carey 19 hours ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/63mIyI__HsY?a Glazed Chocolate Bundt Cake - Sweet Talk with Lindsay Strand 19 hours ago
- Hi! Treat yourself to something special -- here's $10 off your first FabFitFun box. xo.fff.me/gOM2K 22 hours ago
- Unboxing ~ October 2017 ~ totally awesome KLOVERBOX: youtu.be/K2nznn4usoI?a via @YouTube 1 day ago
Chip Mack on A sad discovery, overgrown and… gpcox on One source makes a tremendous… Jim on Leo Francis Bowman, great uncl… Candace Lindlaw-Huds… on Another leaf has fallen from m… Amy Coffin on Another leaf has fallen from m…
- ancestry.com blog stats cemeteries Census records citation conflicting information DAR documentation elusive ancestors family bible family sources family tree First steps genealogy grave sites headstones hiatus Historical Society history Indexing/Transcribing interviewing Irish Genealogy keeping house and home LDS Family History Library library Loss message boards musings names NIH cert obituaries Object analysis organization photographs posting publishing Reading response record keeping research roots sharing information sources tools TV Series War web sites writing YouTube Zotero