So, I was spending hours searching through Ancestry.com and importing data from other family trees and historical records. Later, much to my horror, when looking up a person on my tree I found him in there twice! When I looked further, I found more than one person was in there twice. It seems that many of the family trees I had used as source material had the repetitions as well. Fortunately the damage was minimal and I was able to delete the repetitions on my Ancestry.com tree without disrupting the verified material I had there.
Lesson learned: watch out for repetitious information.
Then I got an email from Ancestry with possible matches for my tree. I clicked the link to check all and was presented with 7 pages of names with hints. Most of these were more distant branches of the tree that didn’t present a direct link to me. Each time I updated one, it opened other branches and more names would pop up on the list.
Another lesson learned: it isn’t necessary to put all the children of all of the relatives on tree – they only sprout more leaves.